Human Development internship frequently asked questions

What is an internship and why is it required?

An internship is a self-initiated, supervised work experience with appropriate private organizations, businesses or government agencies that promotes interaction with practicing professionals. It is designed to give you work experience in your field of interest, help you build your professional network, and enable you to apply knowledge and skills learned in the classroom in a professional setting.

Is an internship paid?

Some internships are paid, but the majority are not. An internship is a required part of your coursework. As such, it is supervised, receives a grade and enables you to earn credit toward your degree.

Who is the internship coordinator?

Sarah Rolerkite is the academic and internship coordinator for the Department of Human Development. She can be reached by email at, or by phone at 360-546-9710.

How do I set up an internship?

Meet with your advisor to determine whether an internship is appropriate at this point in your academic development and fits in your degree plan.

Your advisor will give you permission to enroll in HD 496 Field Placement Preparation (1 credit) one semester before you plan on interning for HD 498 Field Placement. For example, if you wish to complete HD 498 in the spring semester, you should take HD 496 in the fall. Students who wish to take HD 498 during the summer or fall semesters should take HD 496 in the spring.

What is the course number for an internship?

HD 498. You will be administratively enrolled once your internship site placement form is submitted.

How do I know where to look for internships?

You may already have an idea, or you can review the list of cooperating sites and identify sites that seem appropriate for you. Call the sites you are interested in and ask about their program and possible roles and opportunities for interns. You can find a list of many of our internship partners online.

What paperwork is involved in an internship?

In addition to the internship application, which you can obtain from your advisor or Sarah Rolerkite, you must complete a site placement form and a learning agreement. Once you are enrolled in the course, you can access these forms on Blackboard. Interns must meet with their site supervisor to complete the site and learning agreement. These forms require the signature of the intern, site supervisor and internship coordinator.

Is HD 498 graded?

You will receive a letter grade.

What if I can’t complete my internship hours?

Depending on the point in the semester, you may be able to reduce the number of internship credits you are enrolled in. If you have been making adequate process toward completion, you can email the internship coordinator and request an incomplete. The incomplete must be completed within one year.